How Can I Deal with my Daughter's Rash?
Q.My daughter gets a raised and very sore red rash when she urinates after eating tomato based products, peaches, strawberries and oranges. Is there anything I can do when she eats these by accident? Sometimes she's afraid to pee because she hurts so bad.
It sounds very much like your daughter is sensitive to these products so really they should be avoided as you probably know and have discussed.
Unfortunately when someone is allergic to common products such as these it may be possible that they ingest them by accident as they are added to many sauces, soups, drinks and so on.The best way to make sure she doesn't suffer so much pain is to make sure she drinks plenty of fresh water as this will help dilute the juices and acids in her body making her urine less concentrated.If however the products are causing her so much pain that she tries not to pass urine, she may be putting herself at risk of an infection. in this case she should try drinking fresh cranberry juice as this is known to help prevent the bacteria in infected urine from adhering to the sides of the of the internal bladder wall which when permitted to stick and develop can cause some very painful infections.
It is now known that many food products can cause allergy including fruits and that it is possible that someone may be allergic to citric acid which occurs naturally in citrus fruits but also is used as an additive and found in many other food products often in very small traces.If you believe your daughter may have such an allergy you may just have to be more disciplined with reading food labels and find out which products contain the acid and which do not.If your daughter does have an allergy to these fruits it is important to monitor how the allergy progresses as some allergies can worsen in severity after each attack. Frequent attacks may, overtime, cause your daughter to suffer stronger reactions with the rare possibility that such a response may one day require her to need medication or medical assessment.try and make sure your daughter drinks enough fluid throughout the day every day as this will help keep her system flushed and will dilute any substances that she is sensitive to or that are particularly strong.